Dr. Naveed Ahmed has a Ph.D. degree in Biological Environment from Kangwon National University, South Korea with around 3 years of postdoctoral research experience in South Korea. Most of his work is published in peer-reviewed articles in prestigious scientific journals. His research interests include biosensor development, toxicity assessment, sulfur-oxidizing bacteria, struvite recovery from swine wastewater, anaerobic digestion, and sulfur-utilized denitrification of groundwater.
- Ahmed, N., &Tagar, S. (2022). An assessment of Hygiene Indicator Bacteria and MDR Salmonella on Poultry Butchers’ hands and Rinsing Water at XDR Salmonella Struck Areas. Egyptian Journal of Veterinary Sciences, 53(3), 307-322. (IF: ESCI-HEC recognized Y cat)
- El-Naggar, A., Mosa, A., Ahmed, N., Niazi, N. K., Yousaf, B., Sarkar, B., …& Chang, S. X. (2022). Modified and pristine biochars for remediation of chromium contamination in soil and aquatic systems. Chemosphere, 134942.(IF: 7.086)
- Ayaz, I., Rizwan, M., Ullman, J. L., Haroon, H., Qayyum, A., Ahmed, N., …& Ismail, K. A. (2022). Lignocellulosic Based Biochar Adsorbents for the Removal of Fluoride and Arsenic from Aqueous Solution: Isotherm and Kinetic Modeling. Polymers, 14(4), 715. (IF: 4.329)
- Ansari, S., Ahmed, N., Mahar, R. B., Khatri, Z., & Khatri, M. (2022). Fabrication and characterization of electrospunzein/nylon-6 (ZN6) nanofiber membrane for hexavalent chromium removal. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 29(1), 653-662. (IF: 4.223)
- El-Naggar, A., Ahmed, N.,Mosa, A., Niazi, N. K., Yousaf, B., Sharma, A., Sarkar, B., Cai, Y., & Chang, S. X. 2021. Nickel in soil and water: Sources, biogeochemistry, and remediation using biochar. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 126421.(IF: 10.588)
- Ansari, S., Ahmed, N.,Mahar, R. B., Khatri, Z., & Khatri, M. 2021. Fabrication and characterization of electrospunzein/nylon-6 (ZN6) nanofiber membrane for hexavalent chromium removal. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 1-10.(IF: 4.223)
- Ahmed, J., Wong, L.P., Chua, Y.P., Channa, N., Yasmin, A., Rizwan, M., Ahmed, N., VanDerslice, J.A., 2021. Distribution and health risk assessment of fluorosis in undernourished primary school children in Pakistan. Fluoride, 54(1), p.58-76.(IF: 1.033)
- Shim, S., Reza, A., Kim, S., Ahmed, N., Won, S. and Ra, C., 2020. Simultaneous Removal of Pollutants and Recovery of Nutrients from High-Strength Swine Wastewater Using a Novel Integrated Treatment Process. Animals, 10(5), p.835.(IF: 2.752)
- Shim, S., Won, S., Reza, A., Kim, S., Ahmed, N. and Ra, C., 2020. Design and Optimization of Fluidized Bed Reactor Operating Conditions for Struvite Recovery Process from Swine Wastewater. Processes, 8(4), p.422.(IF: 2.847)
- Reza, A., Shim, S., Kim, S., Ahmed, N., Won, S., & Ra, C. 2019. Nutrient Leaching Loss of Pre-Treated Struvite and Its Application in Sudan Grass Cultivation as an Eco-Friendly and Sustainable Fertilizer Source. Sustainability, 11(15), 4204. (IF: 3.251)
- Ahmed, YS Ok, BH Jeon, JR Kim, KJ Chae, SE Oh. 2019 Assessment of benzene, toluene, ethyl-benzene, and xylene (BTEX) toxicity in soil using sulfur-oxidizing bacterial (SOB) bioassay. Chemosphere. 220. pp. 651-657. (IF: 7.086)
- Ahmed , SM Shim, SG Won, CS Ra. 2018 Wastewater recovered struvite as sustainable phosphorus fertilizer: characteristics, soil leaching behavior, and plant growth.”Land Degradation & Development. 29(9). pp. 2824-2879-(IF: 4.977)
- Won S, Ahmed N, You BG, Shim SM, Kim SS, Ra CS..2018 Nutrient production from Korean poultry and loading estimations for cropland. Journal of Animal Science and Technology. 60(1), pp. 3.(IF: 2.225)
- Won S, You BG, Shim SM, Ahmed N, Choi YS, CS Ra. 2018 Nutrient Variations from Swine Manure to Agricultural Land. Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences. 31(5): 763-772 (IF: 2.509)
- Ahmed & Oh S.E.. 2018Toxicity assessment of selected heavy metals in water using a seven-chambered sulfur-oxidizing bacterial (SOB) bioassay reactor”. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 258, pp. 1008-1014.(IF: 7.46)
- Qambrani A., Rahman M. M., Won S., Shim S., Ra C. 2017 Biochar properties and eco-friendly applications for climate change mitigation, waste management, and wastewater treatment: A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 79, pp. 255-273.(IF: 14.982)
- Qambrani A., J. H. Hwang, Oh S. E. 2016 Comparison of Chromium III and VI toxicity in water using Sulfur oxidizing bacteria. Chemosphere160, pp. 342-348.(IF: 7.086)
- Qambrani A., Y. S. Jung, J. E. Yang, Y. S. Ok, Oh S. E. 2015 Application of half-order kinetics to sulfur-utilizing autotrophic denitrification for groundwater remediation. Environmental Earth Sciences 73 (7), pp. 3445-3450.(IF: 2.784)
- QambraniA.,Shin B. S.,ChoJ. S.,OhS. E.2014 Assessmentofchromium-contaminatedgroundwaterusinga thiosulfate-oxidizingbacteria(TOB)biosensor.Chemosphere104, pp. 32-36. (IF: 7.086)
- QambraniA.,S. H. Jung, Y. S. Ok, Y. S. Kim, OhS.E.,2013Nitrate-contaminatedgroundwaterremediationbycombinedautotrophicandheterotrophicdenitrificationforsulfateand pH control:batchtests.EnvironmentalScience and PollutionResearch20 (12), pp. 9084-9091. (IF: 4.223)
- QambraniA.,OhS.E..2013 EffectofNitrateconcentrationand DissolvedOxygenon AutotrophicSulfurDenitrification.AppliedBiochemistry and Biotechnology169 (1),pp. 181-191. (IF: 2.926)
- QambraniA.,OhS.E.,2012 Influenceof reactivemediacomposition andCOD as methanolonAutotrophicSulfurDenitrification.Journalof MicrobiologyandBiotechnology22 (8),pp.1155-1160. (IF: 2.351)
- GurungA., Van Ginkel,S.W.,KangW.C.,QambraniN.A.,OhS.E.,2012.Evaluationofmarinebiomassas a source ofnaturalgasinbatchtests:A labscalestudy.Energy43(1),pp. 396-401. (IF: 7.147)
- Tagar, S., & Ahmed, N. (2021). Assessment of hygiene status of poultry slaughtering facilities and meat handling practices of butchers by using a hygiene assessment tool. Journal of Food Safety and Hygiene, 7(1), 38-51.
- Vu N. T., J. Tan, M. B. Ahmed, N. A. Qambrani, Y. Y. Hao, S. L. Zhang, J. Chu. 2016 Scale-down of Cephalosporiumacremoniumcultivations for high throughput screening of high-yield Cephalosporin C s Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological, and Chemical Sciences 7 (4), pp. 22-32.
- Hasan, M. Chaiharn, Z. A. Mirani, N. A. Qambrani. 2013 Validated RP-HPLC method for determination of dexibuprofen: Application in pharmaceutical dosage and human serum. Analytical Chemistry: An Indian journal 12 (8), pp. 283-290.
|S.#||Program||Semester||Title of Course||Degree|
|1||WaSH||1st||Chemistry and Biology of WaSH||MS|
|2||Env. Sci||1st||Physical, chemical, and biological processes||MS|
|3||WaSH||2nd||Sanitation Systems: Waste reuse and hygiene||MS|
|4||WaSH||3rd||WaSH assessment and professional practice||MS|
|5||Env. Sci.||1st||Introduction to Environmental Science||BS|
|6||Env. Sci.||2nd||Environmental Chemistry||BS|
|Year||Project Title||Funding Organization / Person(s) in Charge||Annual Total Amount (Korean Won)||Project Duration(From-To)||Role|
|2022||Molecular source tracking of Salmonella species at different stages of poultry slaughtering||HEC, Pakistan||3.5 M (PKR)||24 months||Principle Investigator|
|2022||Pesticide removal by point of use nanofiltration membrane and their rapid detection in water
using liquid chromatography mass spectrometry
|HEC, Pakistan||8.0 M (PKR)||36 months||Co-Principle Investigator|
|2022||Eco-innovation for sustainable industrial growth of major industrial sectors in Special Economic
Zones (ECZs) under CPEC.
|HEC||42 M (PKR)||36 months||Co-Principle Investigator|
|2020-2021||Establishment of prototype wastewater treatment plant at distillery site.||7 distilleries of Sindh Province||8.0 M (PKR)||12 months||Principle Investigator|
|2019||Development of prototype for the treatment of distillery spent wash||7 distilleries of Sindh Province||3.0 M (PKR)||6 months||Principle Investigator|
|2018||Study the biomethane potential of anaerobically digested spent wash from the Matol Industry,
|Matol Industries, Matiari, Sindh||0.3 M (PKR)||02 Months||Team Leader|
|2016-2017||Pig manure within the proper management and disposal technologies (ICT based swine manure
automatic diagnosis and control technology development)
|CheonamYonam University Academic cooperation/ Ra Changsix||80,000,000 Korean won||2016.03.01~2017.12.31||Postdoctoral Fellow|
|2016-2017||Livestock manure nitrogen recovery technology demonstration and commercialization.||Food, Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries Technology Planning and Evaluation/ Ra Changsix||646,000,000 Korean won||2016.03.01~2017.12.31||Postdoctoral Fellow|
|2015/2016||Self-heating aerobic microbial digestion of livestock waste electrical grafting
chemical technology (ATAD) Process Development
|National Research Foundation of Korea/ Oh Sang-Eun||55,399,129 Korean won||2015.09.01~2016.02.29||Postdoctoral Fellow|
|2015||Development of soil toxicity monitoring method by sulfur oxidizing bacteria||National Research Foundation of Korea/ Oh Sang-Eun||67,617,362 Korean won||2015.03.01~2015.08.31||Postdoctoral Fellow|
|2015||Development of soil toxicity monitoring method by sulfur oxidizing bacteria||National Research Foundation of Korea/Oh Sang-Eun||67,617,362 Korean won||2014. 09. 01 – 2015. 08. 31||PhD/Research assistant|
|2014||Development of soil toxicity monitoring method by sulfur oxidizing bacteria||National Research Foundation of Korea/Oh Sang-Eun||67,617,362 Korean won||2014. 09. 01 – 2015. 08. 31||PhD/Research assistant|
|2014||Development of soil toxicity monitoring method by sulfur oxidizing bacteria||National Research Foundation of Korea/Oh Sang-Eun||60,858,820 Korean won||2013. 09. 01 – 2014. 08. 31||PhD/Research assistant|
|2013||Development of water toxicity remote monitoring system using sulfur oxidizing bacteria||Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology/ Oh Sang-Eun||158,850,000 Korean won||2013. 06. 01 – 2014. 05. 31||PhD/Research assistant|
|2012||Development of water toxicity remote monitoring system using sulfur oxidizing bacteria||Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology/ Oh Sang-Eun||180,560,000 Korean won||2012. 06. 01 – 2013. 05. 31||PhD/Research assistant|
|2012||Development of water toxicity remote monitoring system using sulfur oxidizing bacteria||Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology/ Oh Sang-Eun||90,000,000 Korean won||2011. 06. 01 – 2012. 05. 31||PhD/Research assistant|
|2011||Pretreatment of waste and high efficiency for electricity production from agricultural waste for
microbial fuel cell (MFC) development
|National Research Foundation of Korea/Oh Sang-Eun||60,000,000 Korean won||2011. 05. 01 – 2012. 01. 31||PhD/Research assistant|
|S. No.||Student Name||Degree||Program||Role
|1||Ms. Sorth Ansari||MS||Env. Eng.||Supervisor||Jan. 2020||Removal of hexavalent chromium in aqueous solution by ZeinNanofibers using Electrospinning Method|
|2||Ms. Bushra Khan||MS||WaSH||Supervisor||Jan. 2020||Detection of Legionella pneumophila in targetted hospitals of Hyderabad|
|3||Ms. KiranMemon||MS||Env. Eng.||Co-supervisor||Jan. 2020||Optimization of operational parameter for a sequencing anaerobic-aerobic membrane bioreactor treating fish/shrimp processing industry effluent (saam)|
|4||Mr. Ayaz Ali Samejo||MS||Env. Eng.||Supervisor||Jan. 2020||Treatment and handling of
reverse osmosis rejected
water from textile industry
|5||Ms. RafiaKhanzada||MS||WaSH||Supervisor||Dec. 2020||Assessment of zinc toxicity in waterusing thiosulfate-oxidizing bacteria (TOB) bioassay|
|6||Ms. JiaSonani||MS||WaSH||Supervisor||Nov. 2020||Development of monitoring method for copper toxicity by thiosulfate oxidizing bacteria (TOB) bioassay.|
|7||Mr. Waheed Ali||MS||Env. Eng.||Co-supervisor||Sep. 2020||Removal of chemical oxygen demandand colour from sugarcanedistillery effluent by using hybridelctrodes in electrocoagultionprocess|
|8||Mr. HussainBakhsh||MS||Env. Eng.||Co-supervisor||2020||Fabrication of zinc decorated magnetic biocharfor the removal of phosphorus from aqueoussolution|
|9||Mr. Syed Najaf Shah||MS||Env. Eng.||Co-supervisor||2020||Comparative study for heavy metals (Pb) removal from
aqueous solution by pristine biochar and activated carbon
|10||Ms. SadafTagar||MS||WaSH||Supervisor||Aug. 2021||An investigation of existing sanitation and hygiene conditions ofpoultry slaughtering facilities and determination of antimicrobial resistance of Salmonella spp.|
|11||Ms. Murk Gadahi||MS||WaSH||Supervisor||Aug. 2021||Assessment of Legionella pneumophila from drinking
Water of schools in Hyderabad and its risk assessment
|12||Mr. Tayyab Qureshi||MS||Env. Eng.||Supervisor||Aug. 2021||Effect of competitive ions
(Aluminum and Ferric) on
the recovery of struvite
|13||Mr. Abdul Haseeb||MS||Env. Eng.||Supervisor||Aug. 2021||Study of struvite precipitation
in the presence ofPharmaceuticals
|14||Mr. Zeeshan Ahmed||MS||Env. Eng.||Supervisor||Aug. 2021||Biodegradation of synthetic Melanoidins from distillery
effluent spent wash using an indigenous microbial
|15||Mr. Tehseen||MS||Env. Eng.||Co-supervisor||Aug. 2021||Biological treatment of amine wastewater using bacterial consortium and reuse of treated water for algalbiomass production|
|16||Mr. Santosh Kumar||MS||Env. Eng.||Co-supervisor||Aug. 2021||Performance evaluation of 3D printed TiO2 Nano-tubes reactor as an efficient device for disinfection of multi-drug resistant (MDR) E. coli.|
- Editorial board member of Journal of Multidisciplinary Sciences (eISSN: 2671-5449) as Editor.
- Editorial board member of Frontiers in Bio-Engineering and Biotechnology (eISSN: 2296-4185) as Review Editor.
- Serving as an internal examiner in various initial seminars, final seminars, and viva voce at uspcasw, institute of energy and environment, and other departments of MUET.
- Convener of the self-assessment evaluation team for HEC program evaluation of civil engineering and construction management programs.
- Part of the technical committee and chaired the sessions in several conferences held at MUET.
- Organized World Water Day 2022 on 30th March 2022.
- Serving as an internal quality auditor at MUET.
- Served as a judge in the documentary competition organized by the institute of energy and environment on Wetland day.