Mehran University Engineering & Technology, And Environment, Climate Change, & Coastal Development Department Government of Sindh signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for five years to increase collaboration, cooperation, and interaction for the further promotion and understanding for the betterment of the Environment. Mr Muhammad Asalm Ghauri, Secretary of ECC & CDD GoS and Prof. Dr Muhammad Aslam Uqaili, Vice Chancellor Mehran University of Engineering and Technology Jamshoro, signed the MoU. The officials from Mehran UET and ECC & CDD GoS, faculty and staff of USPCAS-W MUET witnessed the MoU ceremony.
Prof. Dr Rasool Bux Mahar (Director USPCASW) shared that the Center is a state-of-the-art applied research facility established at Mehran University of Engineering & Technology. The Centre focuses on developing sustainable solutions to overcome environmental challenges and issues, which can only be tackled through collaborative efforts. The MoU between ECC & CDD and University, he further added, would bring opportunities to develop joint research studies and projects that can help to address the issues of environment and sustainable solutions.
The purpose of this MOU is to define the areas for fundamental, academic research in which the Parties desire to work together in the future for their mutual benefit to foster a collaborative framework between MUET and ECC & CDD in the field with the view to benefitting from each other’s initiatives and working procedures and to support collaboration among the staff, researchers, faculty and students associated with both Parties.
This MOU sets forth the intentions of the Parties for increased collaboration, cooperation and interaction and does not create any legally binding commitments. If the Parties later agree to undertake specific joint projects with legally binding obligations. In that case, they will develop separate written agreements for such projects, setting out each Party’s contributions, deliverables, and budgets.
- MOU purse collaboration on fundamental academic research related to the betterment of the environment, Coastal Development, And admittance of students, researchers and faculty of MUET in SEPA laboratories and usage of equipment at SEPA laboratories. The ECC & CDD will also get access to MUET laboratories and take help from faculty and staff.
- Collaborate in research and information sharing regarding conservation and natural resource management subjects, especially for environment and Coastal Development and implantation of Climate Change Policy.
- The MUET students and researchers to work as Volunteers for ECC & CDD for Environmental Monitoring Activities The MUET students to take part in activities and field activities administered by ECC & CDD.
- Collaborate in joint initiatives, experience sharing regarding the celebration of environmental events and exposure visits. Both the parties agree to support public awareness activities [environmental days etc.] organized by MUET & ECC & CDD. However, each party shall give at least four weeks’ notice prior to organizing any activity.
- Conduct a regular exchange of information on each other’s activities of mutual interest;
- – Both parties shall acknowledge each other in the relevant reports and publications pertaining to different joint initiatives;
- – The MUET will provide assistance to ECC & CDD in Environment Assessment (E.A)
- – The MUET faculty & ECC & CDD will work on Environmental issues and Sustainability Solutions, Climate change issues and Coastal Development.
- – The MUET & ECC & CDD can share the data and information collected on environmental issues and published it in National /International journals.
- – The ECC & CDD may propose Projects for the students of MUET and recommend to the Industrial Sector for their support in the projects.
- – The MUET may provide short training courses to ECC & CDD officers/officials for their capacity building.
- – ECC & CDD may propose Projects for the students of MUET and recommend to the Industrial Sector for their support in the projects.
Prof. Dr Khan Muhammad Brohi, Dean Faculty of Architecture & Civil Engineering, Mehran UET, Prof Dr Kamran Ansari Co-Director USPCASW, MUET and Faculty and Staff were also present on occasion.